You’ve probably heard of the GDPR, or the General Data Protection Regulation by now – a new regulation in data protection laws which comes into force on the 25th May 2018. In summary, it means businesses and organisations need to be completely transparent about the information they hold about individuals (how they collect, store and process the data), which is best practice after all.
With this focus on data security, now is the ideal time to declutter your personal documents, ensuring you dispose of any old or redundant paperwork securely. But, are you putting your personal data at risk by decluttering in the following ways? If so, we’ve got the answer!
You recycle personal documents
While you get the gold star for the environmental factor, the same can’t be said for the state of your data security. Think about the amount of personal information on a bank statement: details of the bank you’re with, your address, spending habits and part of your card number at the very minimum. When you put documents like these out to be recycled, you never know who could get their hands on them, or what they’ll do with the information. Unfortunately, people go to great lengths to get hold of others’ data, so you’re essentially handing it out on a plate.
You throw your personal documents in the general waste bin
Throwing documents in the bin is just as risky as recycling and opens up the same possibility for fraudulent activity. Consider the journey your household rubbish takes before it reaches its final destination. Do you know where it goes or who could have access to it? As soon as the document leaves your house, it’s out of your control.
You use a home shredder
Using a home shredder is by far the best approach of the three! But (you knew a ‘but’ was coming), we’ve got a couple of questions:
- How much of your valuable time do you spend shredding?
- Is your shredder 100% reliable, or does it jam?
- How many sheets can you insert at a time?
- How tedious and/or frustrating do you find the task on a scale of 1-10?
We’re going to hazard a guess that:
- You spend hours of your valuable time shredding
- Your shredder isn’t 100% reliable – it jams regularly so you end up with half-shredded pages, which end up in the recycling bin as they are (in other words, not secure)
- You can only insert a couple of pages at a time (sometimes you try and insert more, just to see if it’ll speed up the process, but then it jams!)
- It’s definitely a 10/10 on the scale of tedious and frustrating
There is a far better way! The answer? OUTSOURCE.
Outsourcing to Squab Shredding is:
- Secure – 24/7 CCTV, barrier-controlled access and a Certificate of Destruction upon request. That means fully traceable documents with no risk of fraudulent activity, giving you complete peace of mind
- Efficient – no picking out staples, no painfully inserting one sheet at a time, no jamming – our monster shredder does it all for you in a fraction of the time. Gone are the days of spending hours of your valuable time shredding – now it’s just minutes dropping off your shredding to us (either to our Leamington Spa, Warwickshire site or our Daventry, Northamptonshire site)
- Cost-effective – just £4 per sack when you collect or £5 per sack when we post the sack(s) out to you
- Stress-free – no longer a tedious or frustrating task, leave it to us
- Environmentally-friendly – all shredded paper is recycled into new paper products
Here are some more reasons to outsource your domestic shredding.
Protect your data and visit the domestic shredding page to book your secure shredding today.